Thursday 24 March 2016

The One Who Just Went Off-Tag~

I went 'off-tag' a few days ago.

Now I am expected to function fully in the wards.

Except, you know, first posters and fully-functioning within the first month of working... Ain't so easy for the people around them. Be that as it may, it's been a nice first on-call with understanding groupmates and MOs, and thankfully a low admission rate- to the point that one of my seniors already labeled me 'Anti-J'. Hah!

I was sick on my first on-call. Coupled with the increased stress, this made me less chirpy and efficient than usual, and many people noticed. I tried my best to function well but it was difficult, at least on my terms. Fortunately, again, I had a very understanding senior, who told me to go to sleep at 1030 pm, and even told the nurses to not disturb me if anything comes up during the night as I was sick (and new) And because of that, I was able to sleep for about 7 hours!

Apparently there was one admission or two while I was asleep and both were attended by him.
He didn't even want to wake me up.

Thank God for understanding people.

This department has been heaven-sent so far. I am glad I went along with it.


Anyway for something more useful:

1) Learn to prioritize.
2) Learn to steel yourself and do procedures alone
3) Learn to present concisely, according to specific MOs' preferences
4) Learn to find a way to take care of yourself and enjoy work.
5) Learn to get along with everyone

As for point #5, it has been made easy for me owing to the department's famous HO-friendly surroundings compared to any other departments (or hospitals, come to think of it). I have to keep reminding myself that it won't be this easy in the future.

But hell, for these 4 months (hopefully!), I'll enjoy this posting, even with the occasional disastrous days!

No comments:

Post a Comment