Friday 8 April 2016

Off-Day Thoughts: Volunteering

I made a fool of myself in front of my colleagues and some of my superiors today.

I did it by volunteering for something I was unprepared for... because no one else wanted to do it.

I can't look at my kind MO and just leave him hanging with imaginary cricket sounds in the air when he asked, 'So who among you first posters want to go in front?' It's unfair to his time and honestly I have to do it anyway in the future. It's not like I got assessed...

Actually maybe I did but now it's too late to think about that.

Anyway, I volunteered because I can't NOT volunteer.

When everything is over and people have laughed their fill (because I'm a goof when I don't know things so far), in the end a friend questioned why I volunteered when I said I was unprepared. She was like 'Why, I thought you were so keen to go.'

But like I said, I knew I wasn't prepared. I just knew delaying the inevitable isn't helpful, and I tend to have this tendency to offer myself when no one else volunteers for something you may consider good.

I have to say though, you learn a lot from your own mistakes. It's better to learn from others' mistakes when you can, however, so don't look forward to mistakes! Just take them as they are when they happen and try not to repeat them.

Also, all things considered, better goof and panic during a role-play than the real situation :)


Also at the end of everything my MO said 'Good!' to me, so my goofing must have counted for something...


On that note, I've been forcing myself to be increasingly independent. Passing over cases to the superiors in the morning on behalf of my group, handling the ward alone while my colleague goes somewhere, doing obviously not-so-easy blood taking and clerking. I'm not as fast as senior posters or HOs, but I can see myself progressing both in skill and knowledge. Not to the extent that it's braggable, but enough to make me want to work more.

Enough to make me feel more at ease with the working environment.

Except I'm still clueless in many things. In the end, barely a month of experience cannot compete with a year or more spent in the hospital in various postings- not entirely. I would ask my group mates to tell me where I fell short, although I know I would not be too happy to hear them, so I can improve. A major part of this is putting my stupid ego aside and just listening, and internalizing those facts so that I may be better to myself and to others.

A lot of this is possible because my busy working environment is relatively stress-free. My superiors, as I have said repeatedly, are very helpful and kind. It is the perfect kind of environment to learn and grow!

And yes, by grow I also mean girth-wise :p

No comments:

Post a Comment